Tortellini Al Forno | . #Tortellini #Pasta #OliveGarden #AlForno #Dinner, #Cheese #Parmesan #Bacon #Dinner #ComfortFood #CreamSauce #Delicious #Greatrecipe #lunchideas #goodfood #lunchideas #recipes #yummymummies #healthy #vegan
Tortellini Al Forno
- 20 oz. refrigerated Tortellini, (I like “Giovanni Rana” brand, and I prefer cheese stuffed!)
- 6 slices bacon, uncooked
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pint half and half, (equivalent to 2 cups), you can sub whole milk. Salt/pepper, to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup Parmesan, shredded
- ¼ Asiago cheese, shredded (can also use more Parmesan instead)
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded ¾ cup spinach, finely shredded (optional)
- Use kitchen shears to cut the bacon into 2-3 inch pieces so that they equally cover the pan and cook evenly.
- In a large skillet, (preferablycast iron), cook the bacon slowly on low heat. *Low and slow is best for bacon*.
- Once the bacon is nearly cooked and crisp on each side, cook the tortellini in a large pot according to package instructions. Set aside.
- Remove the cooked bacon from the pan, set aside to cool, and leave 2 Tablespoons of bacon grease in the pan. Keep the heat on low and add the garlic to the pan, cooking for about one minute.
- Increase the heat to medium. Gradually whisk in the flour, stirring constantly, until all flour is incorporated and the grease has thickened.
- Gradually add the half and half (keep stirring). Bring the mixture to a boil and add the salt/pepper and Italian seasoning. Reduce the heat back to low and stir for about 2 more minutes.
- Add the Parmesan, Asiago, and mozzarella cheeses. Stir until well incorporated and thick. Toss in the spinach and the Tortellini and use a rubber spatula to carefully incorporate it into the sauce.
- Once the spinach has wilted (about 1 minute), turn off the heat. Crumble the cooled bacon into smaller pieces and sprinkle over the Tortellini. Serve and enjoy!