Greek Chicken Gyros with Tzaziki |#Greek #Chicken #Gyros with #Tzaziki #Cookingrecipes #Dinnerrecipes #Ethnicrecipes #Greekchicken #Chickendishes #Yummyfood #Cookingrecipes #Yummyfood #Chickendishes #Healthyrecipes #Greekrecipes #Ethnicrecipes #Veganeating #Vegandishes
Greek Chicken Gyros with Tzaziki
- 2 lb / 1 kg boneless skinless chicken thigh fillets
- 3 large garlic cloves , minced (~ 3 tsp)
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar (or red wine or apple cider vinegar)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 2 cucumbers (to make about 1/2 - 3/4 cup grated cucumber after squeezing out juice)
- 1 1/4 cups plain Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or more if you want richer)
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 3 tomatoes , desseeded and diced
- 3 cucumbers , diced
- 1/2 red spanish onion , peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- Salt and pepper
- TO SERVE
- 4 to 6 pita breads or flat breads
- Place the Marinade ingredients in a ziplock bag and massage to mix. Add the chicken into the ziplock bag and massage to cover all the chicken in the Marinade. Marinate for at least 2 hours, preferably 3 hours, ideally 12 hours and no longer than 24 hours.
- MAKE THE TZATZIKI
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise. Use a teaspoon to scrape the watery seeds out. Coarsely grate the cucumber using a box grater. Then wrap in paper towels or a tea towel and squeeze to remove excess liquid.
- Place cucumber in a bowl. Add remaining ingredients then mix to combine. Set aside for at least 20 minutes for the flavours to meld.
- Combine ingredients in a bowl.
- COOK CHICKEN
- Brush the outdoor grill with oil, then preheat on medium high. Or heat 1 tbsp of oil in a fry pan over medium high heat.
- Remove chicken from Marinade. Cook the chicken for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown and cooked through (cooking time depends on size of chicken).
- Remove the chicken from the grill / fry pan onto a plate. Cover loosely with foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- ASSEMBLE GYROS
- If your chicken thighs are large, you may need to cut them. Mine were small.
- Get a pita bread or flatbread (preferably warmed) and place it on a piece of parchment (baking) paper (or you could use foil). Place some Salad down the middle of the bread, then top with chicken and Tzatziki.
- Roll the wrap up, enclosing it with the parchment paper. Twist the end with the excess parchment paper to secure it.
- I prefer to lay everything out on a table and let everyone help themselves.
recipe adapted >>>>> here
Rated 4.8/5 based on 875 customer reviews