CAJUN CHICKEN MEATBALLS IN TASTY CREAM SAUCE | #CAJUN #CHICKEN #MEATBALLS #INTASTYCREAMSAUCE #Cookingrecipes #Meatballrecipes #Meatdishes #Fooddishes #Chickendinner #Dinnerrecipes #Cookingrecipes #Chickenrecipes #Fooddishes #Dinnerrecipes #Meatdishes #Chickendishes
CAJUN CHICKEN MEATBALLS IN TASTY CREAM SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon low sodium cajun seasoning
- 4 cloves minced garlic, divided
- ¾ cup panko
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley (plus more for serving)
- 1 ¼ pounds ground chicken (or turkey)
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onions (yellow or red)
- ½ cup minced red or yellow peppers (bell or sweet peppers)
- ½ cup minced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped basil, for serving
- MEATBALLS: In a medium mixing bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons of cajun seasoning, ½ the garlic, and all the other ingredients except the ground chicken. Add ½ teaspoon of black pepper and mix using a fork. The mixture will resemble a coarse breading. Add the ground chicken and mix until *just* combined. Do not overwork the meat. Roll into 18-22 meatballs. Mine were about 1 ½ tablespoons each.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs to the skillet but do not overcrowd the pan. Cooke in batches if they don’t all fit. Sear the meatballs for 4-5 minutes, flipping to brown all sides evenly. Remember you want to just brown the outside and not cook them all the way through. Remove meatballs to a plate. Repeat until all the meatballs are cooked.
- SAUCE: Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan along with the remaining garlic and the onion and sauté for 2 minutes or until the onion begins to turn translucent. Add the peppers and mushrooms and continue to cook until the mushrooms and peppers soften, about 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle the flour and the remaining teaspoon of cajun seasoning over the veggies and push the veggies around the pan to coat evenly and cook for about a minute or until the flour starts to deepen in color.
- Stir the mixture as you pour in the chicken broth. Lower the heat, whisk in the sour cream until it dissolves completely. Allow sauce to come back to a gentle simmer before lowering the heat and letting the sauce thicken, about 6-12 minutes. When the sauce is halfway there, add the chicken meatballs and let cook for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the basil before serving.