AMAZING MEXICAN BREAKFAST CASSEROLE | #Breakfastenchiladas #Greenchilirecipes #Eggcasserolerecipes #Greenchilieggcasserole #Chilerellenocasserole #Breakfastforacrowd #Chilaquilesrecipemexican #Brunchideas #Veggiebreakfastcasserole #Vegetarianbreakfastcasserole #Vegetableeggcasserole #Chilaquilesrecipebreakfast
AMAZING MEXICAN BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- 1.25 pounds ground sausage* or Mexican chorizo
- 1 small white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 poblano or green bell pepper, cored and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) jar red or green salsa (approx. 2 cups)
- 1 (15-ounce) can black or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup whole-kernel corn, frozen or canned
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 12 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 8 corn tortillas, halved
- 3 cups shredded Mexican-blend cheese
- optional toppings: diced avocado, diced red onion, chopped fresh cilantro, diced green onion, sliced fresh jalapeños, and/or crumbled cotija cheese
- Heat oven to 400°F. Lightly mist a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Cook the sausage in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat until browned, crumbling the sausage as it cooks. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage to a clean plate, reserving a tablespoon or so of grease in the sauté pan. (Or if there is no grease remaining, add a tablespoon of oil to the pan.)
- Add the onion and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes more, stirring occasionally, until fragrant.
- Add in the salsa, beans, corn, cumin, salt, cooked sausage, and stir until the mixture is completely combined. Remove pan from the heat, and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk until evenly combined; set aside.
- Alright, time to layer up all of the ingredients! Layer half of the tortillas in an even layer in the bottom of the baking dish. Then top evenly with half of the sausage mixture, half of the egg mixture, and half of the cheese. Repeat with another layer of tortillas, sausage mixture, egg mixture and cheese.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 45-50 minutes*, or until the center of the casserole is cooked through and no longer jiggly (or when a toothpick inserted in the center of the casserole comes out clean).
- Transfer baking dish to a wire cooling rack and let cool for 10 minutes. Then sprinkle with your desired toppings, slice and serve warm!
recipe adapted >>>>> here
Rated 4.5/5 based on 840 customer reviews