Extreme Cookies ‘n Cream Oreo Cake | #Carbfreedesserts #Veganenchiladas #Glutenfreesnacks #Carbfreerecipes #Glutenfreedesserts #Glutenfreecookies #Icecreamcake #Dessertrecipes #Cupcakecakes #Cakedesserts #Oreodessert #Sweetrecipes
Extreme Cookies ‘n Cream Oreo Cake
- For the cake:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened DARK cocoa powder — I used Hershey’s Special Dark
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup hot coffee — see note
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 jar — 7 ounces marshmallow cream/fluff
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 10 Oreos — crushed
- Make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour two 8” or 9” round cake pans. (I also like to line the bottom with parchment paper for easy removal.)
- Whisk flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk hot water, coffee, oil, vinegar, and extract in a large measuring cup or bowl. Slowly stir the wet ingredients into the dry, stirring or whisking until smooth.
- Pour batter evenly into pans. Bake for 34-38 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean 3” from the side (the middle may still have a few crumbs stuck to the toothpick). These dome quite a bit (in an 8” pan).
- Let the cakes cool completely before removing from pans and frosting.
- Make the frosting :
- Beat butter and shortening with a hand mixer in a large bowl until smooth. Mix in fluff until smooth. Slowly mix in the powdered sugar, the add the salt, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon of the cream. Mix on medium speed until smooth, adding more cream as needed for consistency.
- To assemble the (naked) cake: remove layers from the pans. Level them as needed using a serrated knife. Place one cake layer on a serving plate, top with half the frosting and smooth it to the edges. Top with half the crushed Oreos. Add the second layer and repeat with the frosting and crushed cookies. Serve room temperature but store loosely covered in the refrigerator.
- Note: to coat the cake completely with frosting, double the frosting recipe.