Healthy Vegan Gyros with Tempeh
#Vegetarianveganrecipes #Veganfoods #Vegancooking #Veganeating #Veggierecipes #Wholefoodrecipes #Veganjackfruittacos #Cannedjackfruitrecipeseasy #Jackfruitrecipes #Jackfruittacoseasy #Easyjackfruitrecipesvegan #Jamaicanjerkjackfruit
- 8 oz tempeh (package in block form) Marinade:
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic , finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Greek oregano (use regular oregano if you don't have Greek)
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Tamari , low sodium if needed (or soy sauce for non gluten free version)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (see notes)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup veggie broth , low sodium if needed Simple Oven Potatoes:
- 2 red or yukon gold potatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons veggie broth or aquafaba, or drizzle of olive oil (see notes) To serve:
- 8 pita bread
- 2 fresh tomatoes , sliced
- ½ red onion , sliced
- 2 cups lettuce , sliced (optional, not a traditional topping)
- Vegan Tzatziki
- The day before or early that day:
- Cut the block of tempeh in half width wise so it makes two shorter blocks.
- Boil in a pot of water for about 20 minutes. This cuts the bitterness from the tempeh.
- Meanwhile, make marinade by combining everything in a large container.
- Once the tempeh is done, allow to cool. Then cut into thin slices, about 1/8 inch thick. Using a very sharp knife will make this easier.
- Add thinly sliced tempeh into the marinade and allow it to soak for at least 4-6 hours, overnight is best.
- Next day or later that day:
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
- Take tempeh slices out of the marinade (save it!) and spread them out in a thin layer in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Gently pour about 1/4 cup of the marinade over the tempeh slices.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the edges are brown.
- Meanwhile, slice the potatoes into thick french fry sized slices. I keep the skins on but you can peel them if you prefer.
- Place them in a bowl and cover with water to help remove some of the starch. Allow to soak for 5-10 minutes.
- Prep the tomatoes, red onion, lettuce and make tzatziki if you haven't yet.
- Drain the potatoes and pat dry. Put them back in the bowl.
- Add broth, aquafaba or oil (whatever liquid you prefer) and salt. Mix well.
- Once tempeh gyro slices are done, remove from oven and cover with foil to keep warm. Set aside.
- Turn the oven up to 450 F (230 C).
- Spread the potatoes over a cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
- When the potatoes are done, warm the pita bread in a damp towel for 2-3 minutes to soften.
- Build your gyros with the tempeh gyro slices, potatoes, tomatoes, red onion and lettuce if preferred.
- Drizzle tzatziki over the top and devour!
recipe adapted >>>>> here
Rated 4.9/5 based on 974 customer reviews